Old World or New, Sacred or Profane

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Contest time on Sunday

Well, the weeks have gone by and next Sunday is the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Contest (Yikes, expected temperatures may exceed 100 degrees F!). I will compete in the "Other Instruments" category with two accomplices. Are we prepared? Not as well as I would like, but we have worked quite a bit on it. Too many personal problems and work/home issues going on for me to have done much more. This morning's practice felt pretty good, though.

I didn't get out to Emily's, either, but I have had a number of lessons on it with my teacher, including one with the full group a few weeks ago, and another with the full group tonight.

What happens happens. My number 1 concern is keeping a steady, solid, dance-able rhythm going without speeding up. Whenever I drop concentration, the tempo creeps up and the pulse and articulation suffer. If we can just keep the tempo steady and manageable and together, I'll be happy.

Of course I'm not likely to win, that hardly matters, but the preparation work has certainly made a noticeable difference in my playing. It's given me a better appreciation of how the problem with my left hand is actually in my right arm.

No comments: